Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:56:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS questions

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Darryl Hoar wrote:

> Greetings,
> am running 4.3-release.
>
> Have been trying to install/configure qmail, which has lead
> me to DNS.  Our internal LAN does not use DNS for name
> resolution.  We have hosts files that are populated with
> machine addresses and names.  Not the best, but working.
>
> I have been thinking about setting up the following:
>
> setup a machine on our internal LAN to be the primary DNS for
> our private IP's (192.168.1.x).  (Our lan is connected to the
> internet through a gateway running FreeBSD 4.0 with ppp -auto
> -nat.  So, currently the network clients have our ISP's
> primary & secondary DNS servers setup on their machine.)
>
> This new DNS server would resolve our local private IP's and
> forward any unknowns to our ISP's primary DNS server.  Is this
> possible?  Is there any online pointers/tutorials for this ?

Very possible.

You will need to construct a forward and reverse lookup file
in /etc/namedb. I do this at our company. For sake of brevity,
I just call the internal domain "int". All the hosts then
become dhcp1.int, dhcp2.int, etc.

Then, to be really complere, you should also set up a reverse lookup
mapping from the 192.168.1 addresses to hostnames. This is a
"zone" file. Since these are private addresses, you "own" them
and can do this. For public addresses, the ISP usually runs the
zone file.

Then, you need to edit /etc/named/named.conf to tell the nameserver
to use the files you have created. man named.conf .

If you don't know how to set up these files, you can look at
someone else's files for an example, read the named man page,
or ever get a perl script that does it for you.

-Jim