Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:45:31 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 802.2/802.3/802.5 (steps to token ring and others)

On Tue, 14 April 1998 at 22:02:18 -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> I've been more or less out of time for the last month and a half but have
> had a number of messages in my inbox today regarding Token Ring, one of
> those from gta.com (makers of GnatBox).
>
> I'm not making the kind of forward progress I'd like to be making so I'm
> going to attempt to at least get others involved in some of the discussion
> of and the planning for things that are needed for Token Ring but are not
> specific to it.
>
> FreeBSD needs its 'dead' 802.2 LLC code cleaned up and reintegrated into
> the kernel.  This buys us not only token ring but 802.3 ethenet frames as
> well, which novell uses for their IPX protocol and Microsoft uses for
> NetBEUI.
>
> Working on the 802.2 code requires no special hardware; regular old
> ethernet will do just fine.  Its obviously more helpful to have a
> reference implementation (I'm using Win95 and Netware 3.12) to beat on
> during development, but passing packets between two FreeBSD boxes should
> be nearly as good.
>
> I would like to see a mailing list created to give this discussion some
> focus and an initial 'push'.  There are enough people that have expressed
> an intent to do work in this area that a separate mailing list for
> coordinating our efforts is justified.
>
> I would also be interested in talking to someone with contacts inside of
> BSDi; they have token ring support for a few cards.  Giving this code to
> the FreeBSD project would allow us to begin concentrating our efforts on
> writing hardware support, something BSDi would glean direct benefit from.
>
> Your comments, please.

I've been vaguely thinking of doing something about Token Ring and
other protocols, but I haven't had time to look at it yet.  It would
be nice to see a few of the less popular protocols supported, though
(another one that springs to mind is X.25).

I can set up a mailing list if Jonathan doesn't want to do it.

Greg