Date:      Sat, 01 Nov 2014 21:48:47 +0100
From:      Marek Salwerowicz <marek_sal@wp.pl>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Extending TCP window size in FreeBSD 10-RELEASE?

Hi all,

There are 2 boxes with FreeBSD 10-RELEASE:
FreeBSD storage3 10.0-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p10 #0: Mon Oct
20 12:42:25 UTC 2014
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

They are connected using L2 IPsec VPN

iperf with extended window size (iperf -s -w 1400K)
shows that the connection bandwidth between hosts is around 4Mbit/s

I would like to transmit data from box1 ZFS pool to box2 ZFS pool.

I am using the mbuffer to do this:

on box2 (dst):
# mbuffer -v 5 -4 -I 9090 | zfs receive -Fduv tank1/ze-storage2

on box1(src):
# zfs send -R tank1/PROD@20141030 | mbuffer -v 5   -4 -O 172.25.25.85:9090

The transfer speed is around 180KB/s (~2Mbit/s)

After Googling, I realised I might need to extend the TCP Window (as
mbuffer does not extend TCP Window size).

On both boxes, I have tuned the following sysctls:

# sysctl kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=16777216
# sysctl net.inet.tcp.sendspace=1048576
# sysctl net.inet.tcp.recvspace=1048576
#  sysctl net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=1

However, it doesn't  make  the speed transmission faster.
Changing the mbuffer options to:

-s 128k -m 1G

Neither helps.

Do you have any idea how to saturate the L2 IPSec VPN connection between
hosts?

regards,

Marek

--