Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 18:48:09 -0600
From:      "Kendall P. Gifford" <kendall@jedis.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RealTek ALC650 AC'97 Audio Support

Greetings. I recently posted to freebsd-questions about my audio issues but
haven't recieved any workable answers. So, I thought I would try hardware.

My setup:

I have an MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU Motherboard which uses the VIA Apollo KT333
chipset w/ the VT8233A Southbridge. It has integrated AC'97 Audio using
RealTek's ALC 650 6-Channel chipset. Everything on this system is wonderful
and flies with my FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE installation. The only problem is that
I can only get the audio to partially work. My pertinent dmesg output line
is:

pcm0: <VIA VT8233> port 0xe800-0xe8ff irq 9 at device 17.5 on pci0

It was detected beautifully so I ran "sh MAKEDEV snd0", successfully (I
think) creating all the device nodes (as listed in the pcm driver man page).
Finally, following the suggestion from the FreeBSD Handbook, I installed
and tried to use mpg123 to test my audio. Here is the output from that
attempt:

frodo# mpg123 waste.mp3
[...omitted startup lines...]
pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

Since then, I tried playing an audio CD with xmms and it worked just fine.
I can't, however, play an mp3 with xmms either. It just hangs forever until
I kill it. KDE's aRts also hangs indefinately; completely useless. Now,
just as I am authoring this email, when I try an mp3 with mpg123, instead
of complaining about an interrupt timeout it just displays its usual
startup mp3 decoding status and ends by outputting:

Playing MPEG stream from waste.mp3 ...
MPEG 1.0 layer III, 112 kbit/s, 44100 Hz joint-stereo

[4:16] Decoding of waste.mp3 finished.

No complaints, but also no sound and this all happens in the course of a
fraction of a second. So, my question is pretty open ended. Does anyone
have any idea if
a) My AC'97 RealTek chipset is truly supported by the PCM driver
b) If so, is there some bug or is my support only partial
c) If no to both 'b' cases, what are some of the things I may be doing wrong

Note: The audio works just fine under my Windows 98 installation (but I
don't want to run windoze). Thanks in advance for any assistance.

ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN,        /\
NO HTML/RTF/WORD DOC EMAILS! /  \
                             \  /
Kendall P. Gifford            \/