Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 21:32:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Dunaway <bob@rdsw.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Archive DAT SCSI problem

I have recently brought up a system with FreeBSD on a 486DX2/66 and
am very happy with the system except for a SCSI tape problem.
I have been having problems adding an Archive Python 25501-xxx DAT tape
drive to the 950322-SNAP release of FreeBSD. I am using the Adaptec 2842A
controller. The system locks up when booting with the tape drive connected.

ahc1: reading board settings
ahc1: 284x Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, aic7770 >= Rev E, 16 SCBs
ahc1: Downloading Sequencer Program...Done
ahc1 at 0x1000-0x10ff irq 11 on eisa slot 1
ahc1: Probing channel A
ahc1 waiting for scsi devices to settle
ahc1: target 0 synchronous at 10.0MB/s, offset = 0x19
(ahc1:0:0): "HP C2490A-300 4140" is a type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0(ahc1:0:0): Direct-Access 2033MB (4165272 512 byte sectors)
ahc1: target 6 synchronous at 10.0MB/s, offset = 0x42

The system hangs at this point with the disk controller access light on.
I rebuilt the kernel with the NEW_SCSICONF option and also added a
table entry for the Archive drive using the parameters of the Wangdat
DAT drive. I then tried the SCSI_2_DEF option. Neither of these options
made any difference. I then tried the SCSIDEBUG option to determine
where the boot was failing. The boot was successful and I was able to
write a tar tape and read it successfully (with a lot of debug messages).
Apparently, the problem is related to timing to the Archive tape drive.
The last thing which I have tried was the new aic sequencer code and
driver. The system still locks up at the same place during boot (no debug).
Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this problem.

Thanks
bob@rdsw.com