Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 1995 00:57:26 +0900 (JST)
From:      Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp in auto mode question

> If a user (not root) logs in, before ppp (that started at boot time,
> from the rc.local as 'ppp -auto connect') ever made a connection, it
> does not try to make a connection, and only will if the user tries to
> connect (ping, finger) the main router that the ppp program knows
> about.  If the ppp program had made and, after a timeout period,
> dropped the connection... the next time a shell is started by a user,
> it automatically will try to connect to the host... even though no
> network connection is being attempted by the user.  Has anyone seen
> this?  It does not occur for root, and the .cshrc files are the same
> as the one created from the adduser command, except the SHELL is
> changed to tcsh (from csh).  Ideas?

I might miss-understaing your question... But I'll try..

  First of all with Dial on demand mode. Even though you drop the line
by time out, Higher level link (i.e. TCP) is still up untile a higher
level is timeouted. Another word, you did rlogin to peer and then line
is dropped by timeout period, but whenever you type a "A", ppp try to
dial up again and then echo back will be occured instead of login
prompt.

 But I still don't understand why root and csh is not ocuured this...
Why don't you enable bpf and snoop a packet by "tcpdump -i tun0" it's
might be give me a hint.

> --
>                            Virtually,
>                            Edward Wolpert

Atsushi.
--
Atsushi Murai                                       Internet: amurai@spec.co.jp
System Planning and Engineering Co,.Ltd.            Voice   : +81-33833-5341