Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:36:11 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        mikulas@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Cc:        dillon@earth.backplane.com, jlemon@flugsvamp.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patented algorithm in FreeBSD

This whole thread is kind of silly.  Don't people realize the sheer
number of "patent infringments" there are in FreeBSD (or, indeed,
Linux?)  Sure, you could add a flag to turn each and every instance of
such patent infringment off but the end-result would be something that
didn't even resemble an operating system.  Oh, and do you like to use
Emacs?  Better remove it - it violates the natural order recalc patent
that Lotus (now IBM) holds.  You like the cursor on your screen?  Turn
it off - it violates the XOR patent from CADRAC.

The patent system is broken and we need to focus our energies on
reforming it, not on trying to bend ourselves into impossible shapes
to conform to the damage it's done.

- Jordan