Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 23:02:31 +0200
From:      David Naylor <dragonsa@highveldmail.co.za>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   DPS Initial Ideas

--nextPart1701573.s2DFBrc6Nc

--Boundary-01=_nnNRGI9yUkC+3An

Hi,

Thank you all for your responses, it has given me much to think about.  I=20
guess there is consenses that there is room for improvement in the current=
=20
pkg system.  Attached are some of my initial ideas about what is required a=
nd=20
expected in any (and all future) package systems. =20

Since I am going away this weekend I have had limited time to work on this=
=20
document and as such it is in early stages of development.  My objective is=
=20
to get a clear understanding and target of what is required for this new=20
package system. =20

I am looking at a hybrid approach to storing the package metadata, a=20
combination of SQLite and compressed text files.  I am hoping to create a=20
situation where if either gets corrupted it can be created from the other. =
=20
=46urther more, any changes to the text files (even without recompressing t=
hem)=20
will be intergrated back into the database.  This will allow administrators=
=20
to fiddle around with the text files without having to touch the database. =
=20

((
Another idea I have is the ability for the whole package data storage to be=
=20
recreated from the repository data if all stored data got "destroyed".  Thi=
s=20
will occur though a process of inspection of the file system.  This could b=
e=20
extended to allow all none package files to be combined into a "special"=20
package with the correct dependencies allowing a system to be restored=20
without a single error...  Any thoughts?
))

I would also like to create package groupings, where by many packages share=
=20
the same package file.  This will allow easy distribution of ports such as=
=20
the Xorg 7.2, reducing the 400 or so packages to only a few physical files=
=20
that can then be installed and managed individually. =20

Ultimately I would like this project to be compatible with the current pkg=
=20
system (allowing easy transition from one to another), proper integration=20
into the ports system and possibly into the pkgsrc system, but the future=20
will only be revealed in time. =20

All feedback is welcome, I do have some questions to ask:

1) What would random access of a package be required for and how often=20
will/does it occur?=20

2) I have chosen XML for storing the data.  Is there any practical alternat=
ive=20
(Please keep in mind that multiple packages metadata could be stored in a=20
single file)

I apologies if the document is too dense any too cryptic, all ideas are=20
welcome. =20

Once again thank you all for your feedback and have a good weekend. =20

David