Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:46:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Theodore Hope <freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   trouble with Liveice+LAME

I'm trying to get Liveice + LAME working on a 4.3-Release box
(to stream to another 4.3-R box running Icecast).

I've configured Liveice to use /dev/dsp (also tried with /dev/dspW),
SOUND_DEVICE, HALF_DUPLEX (also tried FULL_*), and various
combinations of SAMPLE_RATE (trying to get 8000 on both to
stream to slow modem users).  The idea is to plug a cd player
into the "line in" of the sound card and stream it out.

Something that caught my eye is when I bring up Liveice
(on std curses interface) it says "Input ... 16 bit, ... Hz",
the "16 bit" stays unchanged regardless of what I change in
the Liveice cfg file.

Recompiled kernel recognizes the sound card just fine, and
/dev/sndstat shows "pcm0: ESS Solo-1E at io .... (1p/1r channels)"

The sound card is fine, because when I plug a portable cd player
into the "line in" of the sound card, I can listen to it
on the speaker output of the same sound card.

This is with LAME 3.88b (not from ports) and the
latest Liveice (not from ports).

On the surfaace, things seem to work both locally, on the
remote machine running Icecast, and on the windoze pc client
running Winamp.  However, only static garbage comes out on
the windoze Winamp.  After lots of fiddling, I decided to
enable Liveice's "SAVE_FILE"; I ran it for a while and
then took the *.mp3 file it saved and opened it with
Winamp, and it's just static garbage.  So, this suggests
that something's wrong at the very outset (possibly with
the way LAME is working, or the way Liveice is calling LAME,
etc).  When I "ps" and see how LAME is being called, things
look ok, and "lsof" shows that Liveice is indeed reading
/dev/dsp (not /dev/dspW).

I know this stuff (Liveice+LAME) works under Linux, but
of course I want to use fbsd 4.3-R :-)

Thanks in advance for any tips or pointers.  -T.H.