Date:      Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:41:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        V.Haisman@sh.cvut.cz
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel source hacking

In message: <436A7474.4040501@sh.cvut.cz>
            V=E1clav Haisman <V.Haisman@sh.cvut.cz> writes:
: I have noticed that there are still places in kernel sources that use=

: K&R style of function parameter definitions.

You must be looking at old sources.  Most of the kernel has been
converted, but it is still a work in progress.  There's very little
gain for the risk that something subtle that's different between K&R
and ANSI causes breakage...  The risk is much lower these days since
we insist on proper prototypes...

: Are the core developers interested in changing it into proper ANSI
: definitions? I would do it because it would give me a reason to read =
the
: code and learn something about the kernel.

Nearly all of the kernel has been converted.  The parts that remain
are the less widely travelled paths through the code.

: Also, is there a page with other tasks for kernel neophytes like me? =
: looked for some such page but I couldn't find any.

phk used to have a /jkh/ page, or Junior Kernel Hacker page.  Don't
know if that's still that way or not.

Warner