Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:27:30 -0500
From:      Eric_Stanfield@kenokozie.com
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: aol postmaster

Now some poor sap will be searching through usenet, stumble across our
topic, and just see 15 posts of commiseration with no magic number for AOL
heh.

As far as I can tell, AOL's script sucks.  My server is not open to relay
so the only thing I can hope to do is contact them directly (since they
ignore all emails I've sent over the last 3 months), continue to change the
things ip address every once in a while, or ultimately sue them (and
continue to change ip's for the 2 years it takes to come to settlement
heheh).

Thanks for all the responses.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Eric Stanfield, K2Access
Keno Kozie Associates
222 N LaSalle #1500
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 332-3000

                    "Dave
                    [Hawk-Systems]"            To:     "Denny Reiter" <denny@reiters.org>,
                    <dave@hawk-systems.        "Ralph Forsythe" <rf-list@centerone.com>
                    com>                       cc:     <Eric_Stanfield@kenokozie.com>,
                    Sent by:                   <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
                    owner-freebsd-isp@F        Subject:     RE: aol postmaster
                    reeBSD.ORG

                    09/25/2002 03:14 PM

>> The idea of AOL testing servers to cut down on SPAM is rather amusing to
>> me.  I always thought that unless an AOL account was used for mass
>> emailings, they took a hands-off approach to the issue.  SPAM detection
is
>> better left to things like spamassassin anyway.
>
>Yes, AOL does indeed test SMTP servers for open relays and then
>blacklists them if they aren't fixed.  We've been notified about a
>couple that customers on our network had set up.

Nice to be so big that you are immune to criticism...  You can block
spammers,
and yet are the source for a large amount of the spam yourself.  Not like
we can
all just block AOL and call it even.  :(

On that note though, doesn't take much to batton down your SMTP servers so
they
are not an open relay, then if they block you, sue for anti-competitive
practices or something.

Dave