Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2023 11:54:51 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
Subject:   Re: Docker

On Mar 29, 2023, at 1:34 AM, John Levine <johnl@iecc.com> wrote:

> It appears that Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info> said:
>> if there are lots of images for linux docker, and docker is linux =
only
>> solution, there is no reason to talk about it on bsd or even offer =
some
>> sort of images of bsd for linux right?
>=20
> Docker runs on MacOS with a linux emulation layer.  FreeBSD already =
has
> some linux emulation so in principle one could do the same thing, but
> it'd be a lot of work for dubious benefit.

I disagree it would be of dubious benefit.  MacOS is a Tier 1 platform =
in the Docker ecosystem.  Using Docker Desktop on macOS makes using =
Docker and Kubernetes for development work very easy on that platform, =
meaning you can stay in the environment you prefer.  MacOS is not Linux, =
but the implementation on there is to use a shim Linux VM via the =
built-in macOS hypervisor (which, IIRC, is a derivative of bhyve).

It would be great if the same thing could be done on FreeBSD.  It would =
be beneficial if there was a supported docker machine driver for bhyve =
on FreeBSD.  Right now, I believe the road to running Linux containers =
on FreeBSD is to use the VirtualBox docker machine driver, which is a =
bit heavyweight (in terms of added dependencies) for my liking.  It =
would be nice if bhyve could be used to run the shim Linux VM.

Other than that, much of the tooling to run Docker and Kubernetes is =
already in ports.  But, those (e.g., in the case of Kubernetes) need to =
point to non-FreeBSD systems that are running the actual containers, =
pods, etc.  It would be nice to be able to do it all on FreeBSD, at =
least for development and kicking-the-tyres purposes.

Cheers,

Paul.