Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:08:51 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        bms@spc.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device atpic to be deprecated?

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:28:29 -0400
John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Monday 10 April 2006 14:24, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> >
> > Well, some testing with my latest STABLE source update (Fri, Apr 7)
> > exhibits the same problems.
> >
> > I can boot the kernel and mount root OK with or without ACPI enabled
> > (via the loader tunable hint.acpi.0.disabled), but not without
> > atpic.
> >
> > I can even boot OK without "device acpi" compiled into the kernel
> > explicitly (and with no acpi module, either, of course, as this
> > doesn't get built under amd64), but without atpic and the associated
> > ACPI bits it pulls in, it's a definite show-stopper.
> >
> > Another interesting side effect I've noticed is that without acpi,
> > the built-in nVidia sound chip (with the snd_ich driver compiled
> > in) is not recognized either.
>
> I've lost the context..  Can you provide a verbose dmesg both with
> and without 'device atpic'?

Basically, the problem is that, without device atpic, I can't mount
root, so it's impossible as well to obtain a dmesg listing for you in
that case.

I'll mail a listing (with atpic, of course) later today.  Got an
appointment to get ready for at the moment.

Thanks.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"