Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:59:10 +0000
From:      Mark Knight <markk@knigma.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange cable TCP performance

I've a box running -stable dated 22nd December.  The box contains two
fxp interfaces.  One interface is attached to my internal network
(fxp0), and the other is attached directly to a newly installed Samsung
SCM-140 cable modem (fxp1), and hence NTL's business broadband service.
fxp1 is running natd, although removing the divert rule appears to make
no difference to the symptoms described below.

My broadband service claims 500kb/s download and 256kb/s upload.

Download performance in fine as I expect.  However, upload performance
is not.

Using ftp to put a 512kB file from this system, or wget to pull the same
file either via http or ftp, speeds always start around the 30kB/s.
However, this typically drops after a few seconds to 15-17kB/s.  I've
tried these tests at various times of day, to various well connected
sites, and this is both repeatable and consistent.  The same affect is
observed with larger files; once the transfer rate has fallen, it does
not usually increase.

However, if I use either a Windows or a -current box, attached via fxp0
(or an0), and using the -stable box as their default router, upload
performance is reliably increased to at least 27kB/s.

In summary, systems other than the router itself appear to sustain
approximately twice the upload rate of the -stable router itself.

Various diagnostic outputs are located at:

   http://www.knigma.org/freebsd/cable/slow.txt

A 512Kb test file containing random data is available at:

   http://www.shrewd.knigma.org/test/fullfile
   ftp://ftp.knigma.org/pub/download/fullfile

I've tried tweaking a few inet sysctl's without noticeable affect,
although I'll admit to not really knowing what I'm doing with these ;)

Any advice appreciated, thank you,
--
Mark A. R. Knight                               finger: markk@knigma.org
Tel: +44 7973 410732                            http://www.knigma.org/