Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:48:48 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Scott Donovan <scottd@telstra.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BT848/winTV/Teletext/video4linux etc.

 |1. Does anyone know of a teletext program that works with the bt848 driver  ?

Hmm. Seems like Luigi wrote one of these.  We had a discussion back in
March 98 on if/how to use teletext info for channel/program info.  You
might drop him some mail (Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>), though
he'll probably catch your post now that it's on -multimedia.

 |2. Given that it is likely there may be other chipset drivers for FreeBSD
 |has anyone thought of pulling together a standard API etc (ala video4linux).

I'm sure a number of folks have, but I think we only have support for two
now (is the meteor still supported?).  So the desire never really reached
critical mass.  The driver folks (Amancio, Roger, et. all) have worked
toward standarization in the driver interface, but a higher-level library
interface would be useful to hide the nuts-and-bolts and make it easier to
cook TV/capture apps.

Maybe we should start tossing around ideas for a template API (?)

 |4. Given that the latest bt848 driver appears to have the appropriate
 |defines to cope with the wintv IR remote, will that support be included in
 |fxtv?

I don't know anything about this functionality.  Does the driver now pass
back keys from the remote, or how does this work exactly?

 |5. Can a "Frequency Set" be included for australia (to add to nabcst etc)
 |to the existing bt848 distribution (saves me patching each time I get the
 |latest driver)?

Sounds like a good idea.  You might want to drop Roger Hardiman some mail
(roger@cs.strath.ac.uk) and send him your Australian freq set patch.

(This is another area where that C lib layer would be useful.  We shouldn't
be stuffing frequency sets in the driver/kernel.  This belongs in a lib or
server interface above the driver below the app.)

 |6. Could the bt848 frequency set information be dynamically included during
 |boot time (ala pnp style commands)?

The definition itself?  I don't believe so.

...but someone will surely speak up if I'm wrong :-)

Randall