Date:      Tue, 31 May 2005 13:03:59 -0500
From:      Jonathan Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Error: Failed to spawn GNU rlog

--------------enig52191F53C6677213B37F7AEF

On 05/31/05 05:07, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 30 May 2005 at 23:48, Jonathan Noack wrote:
>

>>On 05/30/05 20:00, Dan Langille wrote:

>>>No, I ran it as myself.  To run it as www (this time, with a
>>>different command):
>>>
>>>$ sudo -u www rlog /usr/websites/develop.example.org/repository/
>>>configuration//vhosts.conf.sample,v
>>>/usr/websites/develop.example.org/repository/configuration//.
>>>cvsignore,v
>>>
>>>RCS file:
>>>/usr/websites/develop.example.org/repository/configuration//vhosts.c
>>>onf.sample,v Working file: vhosts.conf.sample head: 1.8 branch:
>>>locks: strict access list: symbolic names:
>>>        beta: 1.1.1.1
>>>        devel: 1.1.1
>>>keyword substitution: kv
>>>total revisions: 9;     selected
>>>
>>>Interesting... [still]
>>
>>To see what the actual error is, comment out the redirection of STDERR
>>on lines 2131 and 2138 (with 2.0.6) and see if you get anything in
>>your web server error logs.
>

> Use of uninitialized value in exec at /usr/local/www/cgi-
> bin/cvsweb.cgi line 2481.
> Use of uninitialized value in exec at /usr/local/www/cgi-
> bin/cvsweb.cgi line 2481.
> Can't exec "": No such file or directory at /usr/local/www/cgi-
> bin/cvsweb.cgi line 2481.
>
> NOTE: I'm on cvsweb-3.0.5_1 (was on 2 at the start of this exercise).

With 3.0.5 you can define DEBUG in cvsweb.conf instead of commenting out
the STDERR redirection lines.  Look for it near the bottom.

> The 2481 line is : exec(@cmd, @files) or exit -1;
>
> I have done a "chmod -R www" on the repo directory.  That's more
> rights than the rest of the website.

Do you mean "chown -R www"?  While we're taking drastic measures with
permissions, do a "chmod -R +r"...

> If I print anything out before line 2481, I get to see this on the
> webpage:
>
> NOTE: There are 19 files, but none matches the current tag.

Make sure you send anything you print to STDERR.

> Q: Could this copy of the repo be corrupted/incomplete and causing
> the above problems?

Perhaps, but if you have the time let's try to figure it out.

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr@alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195