Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 15:11:03 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

> From the achievement standpoint, it's not been that bad.  The major
> criticism of it seems rather to be that it's insufficiently general -
> you need a low level shim written for each type of gfx card chipset.

Agreed, although I suspect that you can tell it to assume a 'generic'
VGA interface.

> Given the speed at which new video cards are appearing on the market,
> I can easily see serious disadvanges to this and would much prefer an
> API that let me talk to *any* "Generic VGA" card at 640x480
> resolution.  I'm not sure if that's possible with syscons, but it'd
> certainly be the goal to shoot for.  Anything else is just signing
> up for a long-term pain in the butt.

You certainly can kick syscons into any of the majorish video modes :
(from <machine/console.h>)

#define M_VGA11         26      /* vga 640x480 2 colors */
#define M_BG640x480     26
#define M_VGA12         27      /* vga 640x480 16 colors */
#define M_CG640x480     27
#define M_VGA13         28      /* vga 640x200 256 colors */
#define M_VGA_CG320     28
#define SW_VGA11        _IO('S', M_VGA11)
#define SW_BG640x480    _IO('S', M_VGA11)
#define SW_VGA12        _IO('S', M_VGA12)

I would presume that there's some way of mapping the console video memory
into the process's address space, or alternatively it would be neccessary
to implement an ioctl to copy regions back and forth (yucky).

> 					Jordan

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[