Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:06:08 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Corrupt vinum concatenated drive -- Hardware?

On Sunday, 27 October 2002 at 22:21:34 -0500, Tom Parquette wrote:
> I had something happen to my concatenated vinum drive.
> Looking at /var/log/messages I think it may be calling out a hardware
> problem on one of my drives.
>
> This configuration has been running for a week or so without complaining.
>
> I call myself VERY green with vinum and I would appreciate someone
> looking over my sholder.
>
>  From messsages:
> ad7: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata3: resetting devices .. done
> ad7: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata3: resetting devices .. done
> ad7: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata3: resetting devices ..
> ad7: removed from configuration

Yup, the disk driver has "deleted" the drive.  It doesn't usually mean
that there's much in the way of data corruption.  Check your cables
and things.

> vinum: FreeBSD.p0.s2 is stale by force
> vinum: FreeBSD.p0 is corrupt
> fatal :FreeBSD.p0.s2 write error, block15846552 for 65536 bytes
> FreeBSD.p0.s2: user buffer block 120283440 for 65536 bytes
> vinumdrive2: fatal drive I/O error, block 15846552 for 65536 bytes
> vinum: drive vinumdrive2 is down

And this is Vinum's reaction.

> I checked the output from disklabel -r for ad5, 6, and 7.  The sizes for
>    vinum agree with the values for C:

The first thing you need to do is fix the hardware issue.  Try doing
dd if=/dev/ad7c of=/dev/null bs=64k.  That will copy the data to the
bit bucket, and if there are any problems, you should see them there.

What you do with Vinum depends on the configuration.  If you have
another plex in an affected volume, you'll need to restart the plex.
If it's the only one, you can use maintenance commands like setstate
and saveconfig to get it back up again.

> (I'm having problems with cut and paste otherwise I'd provide the
> actual output.)

Don't cut and past, save the information to a file.  Most of that
stuff is in the system log file /var/run/messages anyway.  Just
include it in your message.

Greg