Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 00:11:40 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>, mlduke@concentric.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Configuration

On Mon, Jun 15, 1998 at 09:18:04PM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> At 10:04 PM 6/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >I'm fairly sure, but do not know with _utter certainty_ that a couple
> >of serious errors are there. Rule of thumb on swap is 2-4 times RAM,
> >but as with all other things in Unix everything "depends"
>
> This so called "rule of thumb" is actually a rule of bologna.  It would
> indicate that if you had 512 megs of RAM in your machine, you need a 1 to 2
> gig cache.  See the foolishness of this "rule of thumb?"

Uh, that's *why* it's a rule of thumb. A quick way of calculating swap
that works in most cases. If it worked in all cases it wouldn't be a rule
of thumb, it would be an equation :-)

Oh, and the last time I checked, wcarchive.cdrom.com (ftp.freebsd.org)
with 512MB of memory did have 1GB of swap, split across many disks. I can
double check that tomorrow though.

You are in a maze of twisty signature files all the same.
--
You are in a maze of twisty signature files all alike.