Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:13:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, dutchman@spase.nl, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HDD cpu usage (IDE vs. SCSI).

DG said:

> > >    Because a Pentium-90 is much faster than a 486-100 for certain things and
> > > most of the %CPU is for total I/O overhead, not just the overhead in the
> > > device driver.
> >
> > Hmmm... if I get it right this means that under certain circumstances
> > (1 disk, onboard IDE controller, medium-fast CPU) using SCSI instead
> > of IDE gives you only a very little saving (which BTW is what I am
> > convinced of, but this has not been the dominating opinion on this
> > list).
>
> No, you're not understanding.  For a given CPU, IDE will _always_ use more
> CPU time than SCSI.  Period.

I know I shouldn't have posted this :)

I only meant that
IF
	"most of the %CPU is for total I/O overhead, not
	just the overhead in the device driver" (as DG said)
THEN
	"For a given CPU, IDE will _always_ use (POSSIBLY LITTLE)
	more CPU time than SCSI.  Period."

> If you have lots of free CPU, then IDE is fine, but if you feel that your
> CPU has better things to do with its time than copy data to and from
> your disk, then SCSI is the only solution that makes sense.

About this, and the frequent claims that IDE is a no-go for a multiuser
system, I would like to remind people a not-too-old message, always
from DG, about the 1000 users on ftp.cdrom.com. I noticed that most of user
processes were idle, and I thought it was because of lack of disk i/o
BW. According to David, the bottleneck was actually in the network
bandwidth (mostly on the client side).

A single disk doing random seeks can approximately serve some 100
requests/s (parameters derived with bonnie on some of my IDE disks,
and I don't think SCSI disks can do much better -- the mechanics
is mostly the same, only the controller changes). In a system like
ftp.cdrom.com most requests tend to be short -- like 8KB each or
so. PIO transfers over a PCI or other built-in IDE controllers will
consume 1ms or likely less, and after all you have to compare this
with the time necessary to setup your SCSI controller and the
remaining (common) FS overhead.

Of course, ftp.cdrom.com uses SCSI -- where would you find room for 20+
IDE disks on a system :)

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/