Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:43:15 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        deischen@freebsd.org
Cc:        threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of bogus gethostbyaddr_r()

Daniel Eischen wrote:
> The _r versions are expected and part of POSIX (in general,
> I'll haven't checked to see if gethostbyaddr_r is part of
> POSIX, but it does exist in Solaris).

It's not part of POSIX.  Feel free to check:

	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/nfindex.html

The final APIs have yet to be worked out by ISC, who is writing
a reference implementation of a library to go with their Bind 9
reference implementation, but it is not yet final.

Most of the exisitng implementations are in fact premature.

There is some indication consumers are expected to use the
getaddrinfo/freeaddrinfo interfaces instead.  These *are*
mandated by POSIX, and they *are* mandated to be thread safe,
and the final API may in fact not support gethostbyaddr_r at
all, with gethostbyaddr itself being deprecated for address
family independent lookups using getaddrinfo, instead.  See also:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/getaddrinfo.html

In other words, if you want a threads-safe interface, you need
to update your software, not screw around making unportable
interfaces even less portable.

-- Terry