Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 1995 02:38:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        barkovich@uclac2.chem.ucla.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: help...

barkovich@uclac2.chem.ucla.edu writes:

> I am having trouble with my FreeBSD 2.0.  I cannot get executables to run
> properly.  The only way I can get them to run is with shell (sh executable).
> I am used to just typing the executable name.  I thought it might be a
> permission problem, but the permissions look OK to me and I'm logging in as
> root.  Whenever I type the executable name it just responds with "command
> not found".

Your executable must be in your search path.  This is similar to the DOS
PATH command.  This is a variable in your shell and setting it up
differs based on the shell you are using.  If you are using csh, edit
your ~/.cshrc file and find where "path" is set up and add the binary
directory for X windows; I think it is /usr/X11R6/bin.

> I am still trying to get X windows installed, but haven't really
> tried in some time due to this problem.  I tried to look at my system with
> both SuperProbe and X -probeonly (I have a symbolic link to the correct file)
> but when I just type them it says "X: command not found", and when I type
> "sh X -probeonly" it just gives me a bunch of garbage.

You are trying to execute the X server as a command file.  Try setting
your search path, log out and log back in, and see if things work better.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936