Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:29:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Claus=20Guttesen?= <cguttesen@yahoo.dk>
To:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   yet another attempt to install RC1 on rx2600

Hi.

Whenever I try to install 5.2 RC1 I am either unable
to see any destination-disks, or the installer is
unable to write the partition-information to the disk
with the error "expected offset 0, found 32623 (or in
that neighbourhood)".

This is probably as a result of many reinstallations
trying out different options.

Searching Google returned
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ia64/2003-October/000219.html

So I installed Debian Linux using the diskutilities
parted or cfdisk, creating three primary partitions,
efi, swap and ext2. The installation went fine, giving
me a bootable Debian-system.

Starting the 5.2 RC1 installer (once again), deleting
the linux-partitions, creating mount-points and
choosing a minimal install goes fine. But it fails as
mentioned above trying to write the filesystem-info to
disk.

How do I completely erase any previous information so
I can start from scratch? In the old DOS-days one had
'fdisk /mbr' to erase any previous info on the MBR.

I'm pretty much stuck, so any advice would be
appreciated.

I've migrated our Linux-server-farm to FreeBSD two
months ago (on i386), so I'd prefer to stick to
FreeBSD when comparing our Xeons to Itanium rather
than having to do testing on Debian.

regards
Claus

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan