Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:11:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      Herve Quiroz <hquiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal for bsd.port.mk

How are things going for bsd.port.mk ? I saw there has been an update on
Ernst's page (2001-01-15 I think)...
Recently I took a look upon NetBSD pkgsrc java system. Looks like the
latest bsd.port.mk proposal more or less...
I am not sure we came to some final decision about the location of libs
and the CLASSPATH management. For CLASSPATH I remember we decided not to
have it set automatically after installing a new java lib (because of some
RMI aps and so). But in such a case there should be a unified location for
all the java libs. Maybe /usr/local/lib or /usr/local/lib/java. Or maybe
it could be easier to have all java-related in /usr/local/java. So
/usr/local/java being the $PREFIX for all java-related ports. This way,
there would be :
/usr/local/java/lib (with GNU Trove, JSX...)
/usr/local/java/linux-ibm-jdk13
/usr/local/java/jdk-1.1.8
/usr/local/java/doc/jdk-1.1.8
/usr/local/java/doc/jakarta-ant

But then, where to put the java tools that are not java executables
(e.g. jikes) which should be in $PATH (usually $PREFIX/bin) ?

Also, maybe there should be something in the proposal to normalize the
location of ports. I mean a java tool (like ant or mmake) should go in
devel, lang, or java ? Same for java libs.

Herve