Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 14:16:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        patrick@cre8tivegroup.com (Patrick Gardella)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@awfulhak.com.acs.uswest.com
Subject:   Re: PPP and X ?!?

In a previous message, Patrick Gardella said:
> Here is a strange error...
>

> If I go the other way around, starting ppp (dialing out) as I startx, I freeze
> up ppp (which I can then kill and restart).
>
> If I startx, and then start ppp no problem.
>
> Nothing shows up in /var/log/ppp.log, by the way besides the normal messages ]
> (LCP IPCP CCP).
>
> This happened with the standard 2.2.1 release of X and PPP as well.  I upgraded
> to the latest to see if that would work.
>
> I'm not sure how they are related.  Any other pertinent info needed?
>
> Patrick
>
> P.S.  This is very easy to prevent, so I am able to work around it.  It's just
> annoying when I forget ;)

I had the opposite problem, but maybe it's the same sort of thing.
Mine turned out to be the machine was trying to do dns resolution and
was timing out without the interface up. Is hosts before dns in your
/etc/host.conf file? A good way to see what's happening is to run tcpdump on
tun0 while you try to bring up X. Then you can see what's happening on
the interface.

Also check /etc/X0.hosts. and .xsession.errors in your home directory.

--
Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts.  Its's
what you do with what you have left.  --Hubert Humphrey