Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 03:57:51 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@sns.com>
Cc:        "Michael Waldrop" <mw96277@gte.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: US ROBOTICS WINMODEM

At 06:32 PM 4/14/97 -0700, Ludwig Pummer wrote:
>Probably not. The reason you got your Winmodem so cheap (and the reason
>it's called the _Win_modem) is because it's mostly a software-controlled
>modem. They took out a few of the more expensive, hard-working chips, and
>made your computer's CPU do the work. That's why you need to load their
>special software and you need at least a Pentium to get high connect speeds.

About the worst thing in the world for ISPs.  Rockwell RPI is a scam, IMHO.
 "Oh, that poor overworked modem.  Let's share the load with the CPU."  Blah!

Netscape Personal Edition states that if you have an RPI modem to return
NPE for a refund.

Considering how long DSPs have been around, it is just amazing that modems
don't use them.  Sportsters and Couriers use DSP, but Sportsters get warm.
Not sure why the pump 20VAC into a 5 V regulator, but I'd need a circuit
diagram and someone tested them and they don't work if the volatage in
drops below 18VAC.

Another example of getting what you pay for and tech hype.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990