Date:      Sat, 17 Sep 2016 11:11:08 +0100
From:      Dave <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: llvm37 build fail, FreeBSD 10.3

On Monday 12 September 2016 16:42:38 Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 12:30:59PM +0100, Dave wrote:
> > building llvm37 from ports (via portupgrade), fails on at least 10.3
> >
> > Requires re2c and ninja but neither are pulled in, build fails unless manually installed first.
>
> Something is seriously out of wack with portupgrade or perhaps your
> ports tree.  I don't portupgrade any more so can't really do much to
> diagnose this problem without a log (and I'm not really sure what I'd do
> with one).
>
> llvm37/Makefile includes USES=ninja which causes ninja to be a build
> depend.  Off hand, the only way I could see that not happening is of
> something was wrong with Mk/Uses/ninja.mk.

Thanks for the reply.

I use portsnap/portupgrade because it covers those ports which either don't have packages for whatever reason or where I compile with non-standard options (getting fewer and fewer fortunately.)  I usually do a pkg upgrade first and that often takes care of most updates.

As for LLVM, everything else seems to have updated ok, which is why I mentioned it, just in case there was an actual problem with the port.  I rarely see compile issues these days and it's entirely possible it's at my end.  Obviously I "fixed" it by manually installing the required ports, so I can't really duplicate it now.  Still, if no one else has sen the issue then it likely is an issue at my end rather than the port itself.