Date:      Mon, 29 May 2006 22:01:37 -0700
From:      "marty fouts" <mf.danger@gmail.com>
To:        "John Birrell" <jb@what-creek.com>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Andrew Atrens <atrens@nortel.com>, current@freebsd.org, small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's embedded agenda

On 5/29/06, John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com> wrote:

> The smallest embedded system using FreeBSD consists of just a kernel
> and a threaded program which runs as 'init'. No other files are required.

Unfortunately, in my world, the smallest embedded system isn't of
interest. We need something a bit larger.  That threaded program needs
a data store for persistant data.

> the FreeBSD system
> detected the fact that the bike was turned off and went through it's
> shutdown sequence, closing the video file which was on CF (not NAND
> where the OS was) and then when the buffers were flushed, it toggled
> an output bit which opened a relay contact and powered itself down.

I guess you missed the discussion earlier where it was pointed out
that there are significant applications in which CF is not an
available option.  If you didn't have CF on the device, but you did
have NAND, (which is where we are in smartphone land) you'd need a
NAND based file system, for the data that has to persist across phone
shutdowns.