Date:      17 Mar 2001 23:54:51 +0100
From:      Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
To:        wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CD Writer issues, continued

>>>>> "Wayne" == Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk> writes:

Wayne> After further testing, it turns out that it works fine on a
Wayne> machine after a clean load, but as soon as I recompile my
Wayne> kernel, it no longer works. I have the following lines in my
Wayne> kernel :

Wayne> device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
Wayne> device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
Wayne> device          ata
Wayne> device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
Wayne> device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
Wayne> device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
Wayne> device          atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
Wayne> options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

Wayne> Has anyone got a kernel that allows them to burncd's to a
Wayne> yamaha cdrw device? If so, I'd really appreciate a copy of your
Wayne> config.

Here is mine... It works fine: i don't have a Yamaha, but a Plextor,
though.

=-=-=-=-=-=
device          ata
device          atadisk
device          atapicd

options         ATA_STATIC_ID
options         ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA
options         ATA_ENABLE_TAGS           # For my IBM DTLA
=-=-=-=-=-=

Here are the relevant lines of dmesg with this kernel conf:

$ dmesg | grep ata
atapci0: <VIA 82C686 ATA100 controller> port 0xd000-0xd00f \
         at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 43979MB <IBM-DTLA-307045> [89355/16/63] at ata0-master tagged UDMA100
acd0: CDROM <ATAPI 50X CDROM> at ata1-master using UDMA33
acd1: CD-RW <PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1210A> at ata1-slave using WDMA2