Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 16:45:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        Adam Hawks <awhawks@Perigee.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSd.ORG, current@FreeBSd.ORG
Subject:   RE: more problems w/ fetchmail

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Adam Hawks wrote:

> I have 3.0-current running and have similar problems. If its doing the
> same thing as mine you can look at your routeing table and you will
> probably notice that the default route points to your gateway then there
> is a route from you gateway to your 127.0.0.1 when it works and not
> there when if fails. It seems that in fetchmail wants to loopback but is
> sending it to the gateway address instead of the 127.0.0.1 loopback. I
> don't know much about the way the mail system works so it may be in the
> kernel or fetchmail?
>
> Don't know if this helps but its what I have observed on my system.
>
> Adam W. Hawks
> awhawks@perigee.net

Thanks for the reply.  As strange as this may seem, I just happen to have
a xterm open with netstat -r before I started routed.  I see exactly what
you mean.  I'm going to cc this message to both groups and see if anybody
has a solution.

Here's the info:

bash# netstat -r
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire
default            ns3.best.com       UGSc        4        0      tun0
localhost          localhost          UH          0        0       lo0
192.168.1          link#1             UC          0        0
ns3.best.com       bsampley           UH          5       10      tun0
bash# routed
bash# kill 1733 	[routed]
bash# netstat -r
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire
default            ns3.best.com       UGSc        4        0      tun0
localhost          localhost          UH          0      225       lo0
192.168.1          link#1             UC          0        0
ns3.best.com       bsampley           UH          5      124      tun0
bsampley           localhost          UH          0      199       lo0
bash#

Anybody know what I need to change so the routing table looks liks the
second version without having to run and kill routed?

---
Brought to you by a 100% Micro$oft free system.  You too can disinfect your
system at http://www.freebsd.org

E-Mail:  burton@bsampley.vip.best.com
Alternate E-Mail:  bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
Home Page:  http://www.best.com/~bsampley (permanently under construction)