Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:23:18 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: randomdev entropy gathering is really weak

In message <200007191812.UAA00448@grimreaper.grondar.za> Mark Murray writes:
: The randomness is good, no doubt; I worry about how accessible that
: randomness is to an attacker?

That's a good thing to worry about.

: If the attacker is on your computer (he us a user, say), he might know
: a lot about the current frequency of your xtal. He can also get the same
: (remote) time offsets as you. What does that give him? Not much, but it
: could reduce the bits that he needs to guess. By how much? I don't
: know.

I don't know the answers to that either.

Of course, if the attaker has root access to your machine, then you
have bigtime problems with keeping the random bits secret anyway...

Warner