Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:45:06 -0500
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Subject:   Re: Removing CVS from HEAD

On Sep 13, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> As for the schedule, as has been repeatedly stated, this change will
> only affect 10.x and later.  If this proposal goes ahead, the first
> FreeBSD release to not have CVS in the base will be 10.0-RELEASE -
> which (IMHO) is unlikely to appear for another year.  And 9.x will
> continue to include CVS in the base and should be supported for at
> least 2 years after 10.0-RELEASE comes out.  Thus, anyone currently
> relying on the base CVS has at least 3 years to plan their transition.

One thing the project has been really *BAD* at is broadcasting this =
information.  They don't have 3 years to plan if the only record of this =
decision is in email mailing lists.  We need to have an UPDATING_MAJOR =
to list the changes from the last major release that are user visible.  =
Otherwise they will have only "minutes" of warning when they install =
10.0.

Warner