Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:32:01 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        karl agee <kdagee@attglobal.net>, "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>, freebsd-questions <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linking a directory to another filesystem

On Friday 26 July 2002 12:31 am, karl agee wrote:
| On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 21:23, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
| > /usr is not whats filling your / partition, since /usr is a
| > partition of its own.
| >
| > Try a 'du -d1 -h -x /' and you will see whats filling up /
| >
| > --
|
| su-2.05a# du -d1 -h -x /
| 512B	/dev
| 2.0K	/tmp
| 2.0K	/usr
| 2.0K	/var
| 3.0M	/stand
| 1.1M	/etc
| 2.0K	/cdrom
| 2.0K	/cdrom1
| 2.0K	/dist
| 6.6M	/bin
|  48M	/boot
| 2.0K	/mnt
| 2.0K	/proc
| 2.3M	/root
|  20M	/sbin
| 2.0K	/dos
| 122M	/
|
| Hummm..........ok what's where's the rosetta stone.....I see a lot of
| stuff is in /  ....a little on /usr.....but is that /usr mounted fs or
| /usr on / ....  %-(

Ok, try to get this:  There is NO /usr taking up space on / !!!!!!!

Instead of the awkward Windows approach of having separate disks that you have
to putz with yourself, Unix (Linux, FreeBSD, OS/X) lets you "mount" all the
file systems under the common / root.  So you can see them all in a single
hierarchy, but it doesn't mean that they occupy space on that partition.

Get the idea out of your head!

And your biggest problem is /boot.  It's enormous!  Mine is 1.2M.

There also doesn't seem to be enough space accounted for in the subdirs; I
suspect some large top-level files in /.  Do an ls -la of / and see if you
have some big files there or if my math is just off.

Finally, you might try to reboot.  There could be processes holding open files
taht have already been "deleted" so that the space is still being held.

PS: What's the deal with "devfs"?  I haven't seen that before; I just have
/dev as a regular ol' directory under /.

PPS: Note that on this above "du" output shows /usr is taking 2K, which is
0.001% of the space of usr.  That's about right; it's just the space for the
directory itself--all the files are in another file system.  (Well, mine seem
to be 1k--maybe you built your filesystem with a bigger block size?)

You aren't possibly confusing K and M are you?  That's not like comparing
apples to oranges; it's like comparing kilometers to meters.

PS: All of this is very unlike Windows but exactly like Linux or any other
Unix-based O/S.

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org