Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 22:47:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        bastill@sa.apana.org.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] ISP anti-spam

In article <200207040113.g641DFL87663_tierzero.apana.org.au@ns.sol.net>,
	bastill@sa.apana.org.au writes:
> There seems to be a movement among ISPs to "help" us by applying spamassasin
> (or similar) to all mail they handle - IN or OUT.
> Is this an invasion of privacy?
> Is such behaviour dangerous, in suggesting to political control freaks that
> Internet Control is possible and desirable?
> Would it be MUCH better for all users to be encouraged to use spam filters,
> if they wish?
>
> What do people think on these and related issues?

My ISP (visi.com, in Mpls, MN) uses SpamAssassin as a filter, but does
not do anything about mail that SpamAssassin flags as spam.

I think this a great thing - I wrote a sendmail ruleset to examine the
X-Spam-Status mail header, discarding mail based on the SpamAssassin
statuses I choose, rather than my ISP discarding mail based on what
SpamAssassin thinks is spam.

IANAL, but I think that an ISP who discards their customer's mail based
on an evaluation like SpamAssassin does could be bucking for a lawsuit.

Dave