Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:15:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS over TCP

> > > I don't think you can limit UDP usage in the portmapper. I'm afraid that
> > > the first call to the portmapper will always be in UDP.
> >
> > This is correct.  As will the first mount request.
>
> So what about the second mount request? ;)

Well, if the portmapper can be asked about it, it will try TCP.

> portmapper on the remote machine claims everything is available via tcp.
> nfsd started with the -t flag:

You miss the point.  The portmapper *must* be initially contacted via udp.

> So should I call this "broken" and file a pr?  The manpages are silent on
> the subject, and the referenced RFC dates back to 1989.  I've yet to find
> the document titled "NFS: Network File System Version 3 Protocol
> Specification, Appendix I".  This is -stable as of two days ago.

You need to look at the portmapper documentation, instead.

> "Fixed bug where UDP was required to mount a TCP NFS filesystem.
> Submitted by:   Ken Hornstein, Sept.'94"
>
> Is it possible someone unfixed it?

Yes, but not likely.  This bears on the mount command; what is
failing for you is the oncRPC request to the portmapper that asks
it, among other things, whther or not you can use TCP to talk to it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.