Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:29:51 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd@grant.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade by reinstall

In message <200102181046.LAA09927@splat.grant.org> Michael Grant writes:
: I want to upgrade to releng_4 (4.x latest) from 3.5.  I've been
: following this list for a while now and it just looks like it might be
: easier to reinstall than to jump through all the hoops of doing
: multiple upgrades.

By reinstall, do you mean binary reinstall?  Or make buildinstall :-)

: The machine is remote, I have access to the serial console but not the
: box physically, hence I can't put boot floppies in it.

OK.

: But I can run the 3.5 version of sysinstall.  Can I use this version
: of sysinstall to load 4.x on my second drive?  If so, what do I put in
: for the release name in the options editor?  CUrrently it says
: "3.5-STABLE".

You might be able to run a 4.x version of sysinstall, but don't count
on it too much.

: If this isn't the way I should be doing this, what is?

I'd do the following personally.

1) I'd create a 4.x kernel.  I'd put it in drive 1.  I'd also put
sysinstall from a recent 4.x snapshot on drive 1.  I'd boot to single
user mode with the new 4.x kernel and then run the 4.x sysinstall.
This is very important since the 4.x sysinstall will almost certainly
no run on the target machine.

I'd then use sysinstall to splat 4.x onto the second disk.  I'd test
the boot of the second disk and merge the config changes from the
first disk as necessary.  I'd then setup the boot loader on the first
disk to always load the second disk's kernel (modulo the usual
breakout sequence).  this might be hard.

I'd then schedule a trip to the remote site and move the disks around
and adjust the first disks's /etc/fstab to reflect reality.  I'd leave
the second disk in place for the 5.x upgrade or the 3.x downgrade as
necessary.

Warner