Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:47:04 -0600
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        MJ <mafsys1234@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 13.0-RELEASE Poor performance on Raspberry pi 3 B+

Matt wrote:
> On 23/11/2021 1:42 pm, Juan David Hurtado G wrote:
> > Hi, I'm trying to use the OS on a Raspberry pi 3 B+
> > =

> > Boot is pretty slow. It hangs on `ue0: Ethernet addresss: ...` for som=
> > minutes before showing the `login:` to enter the username. When I ente=
r it,
> > it takes a few seconds to ask for the password.

> I had similar experiences. Do you have any USB devices attached?
> One thing to watch for is any mounting of USB drives. I also had problem=
s with certain cables connecting USB drives to the Pi but when I placed th=
em on a powered hub they were fine (not slow to mount). As a reference, ru=
nning devuan I had no issues.

> If you have USB drives attached, try this: place hw.usb.no_boot_wait=3D"=
1" in /boot/loader.conf

> > =

> > While doing `freebsd-update fetch install` it took a plenty of minutes=
, so
> > I canceled the process and then did `freebsd-update fetch` and then
> > `freebsd-update install` to see what was going on.
> > =

> > Found that the process was at `wdraid` state. Doing a simple search, I
> > found about `vfs.hirunningspace` so I tweaked it to 1Mb and then to 2M=
b. It
> > seems to help, but not by much. Look at this:
> > =

> > freebsd@generic:~ % time freebsd-version -kru
> > 13.0-RELEASE-p4
> > 13.0-RELEASE-p4
> > 13.0-RELEASE-p5
> > 0.365u 0.045s 0:41.25 0.9%    20+177k 14+0io 0pf+0w
> > =

> > :(

Another data point: on my RPi 3B+, I get this:

rpi% time freebsd-version -kru
13.0-RELEASE-p4
13.0-RELEASE-p4
13.0-RELEASE-p5
0.372u 0.053s 0:01.34 31.3%     27+178k 28+0io 0pf+0w
rpi% time freebsd-version -kru
13.0-RELEASE-p4
13.0-RELEASE-p4
13.0-RELEASE-p5
0.372u 0.047s 0:00.41 100.0%    27+174k 0+0io 0pf+0w

So it's not a general problem.

		Mike

> > What could I be missing? Maybe I need to tweak partitions and use some=
 kind
> > of configuration/optimization? how? I do appreciate any guidance you c=
an
> > provide in order to troubleshoot this.

> I've never tried this. Is this now possible because it's a Tier 1 archit=
ecture?
> Would not memory be a constraint here? You definitely wouldn't want to b=
e using tmpfs system.

> > =

> > PS: I don't think it is the microsd card since it runs raspios fine.
> > =

> And usually they start exhibiting write issues beforehand if they're goi=
ng to fail.