Date:      Sun, 23 May 2004 10:24:18 -0700
From:      JG <amd64list@jpgsworld.com>
To:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

>None consolidated in the same post with the same versions
>of FreeBSD and mysql.  Like I said before, there are a ton
>of posts on amd64@ and some here on threads@.  It would
>help much if you were to summarize them on a web page so
>that all of us don't have to go searching through all
>the archives trying to do it ourselves.

Good idea, I'll do that now.

>  The default configuration with
>libpthread vs FreeBSD-linuxthreads seems to be similar.

I would disagree from what I've seen so far. Nothing came
close to the remote tests using Linuxthreads.

> > Everyone here wants to say "But you're comparing apples to oranges!"
> > and now you're telling me to do just that.
>
>No we're not.  I want to know what aspects of those
>mysql conf settings affect FreeBSD performance.  Perhaps
>it can help find one of the bottlenecks.

I'm just getting frustrated here having to go from list to list and
repeat everything that has already been posted each time as
each group wants to push the problem on another group...
starting to remind me of the Healthcare system, but none of us
can fix that problem :P

> > Why don't we compare apples to apples and use stock my.cnf settings
> > for both?
>
>That's fine.  You were trying to run dual tests (stock and huge
>my.cnf settings) on each platform but mostly chose to look at
>huge cnf remote results.

I only stressed the my-huge.cnf results because they
(on i386, using Linuxthreads, remote) was the only thing that came
anywhere near the Linux results.

I'll try to put a page up that consolidates the results so far.