Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 02:58:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Gao=20Long?= <urgaolong@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-libh@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE:LibH or Anaconda ??

>Anaconda is certainly an option, but I doubt a binary-only Anaconda is.
>Think about it. We need to go beyond running Redhat's  installer in
>Linux compatibility mode. Also. SuSE just open sourced their YaST
>installer. That's an option as well.

   I migrate from imgaolong@yahoo.com.cn to urgaolong@yahoo.com for the trouble of gb2312 coding.

   Well, most code in anaconda is just a matter of scripts running on virtual-machine-like python . Pure scripts can be run on python of native FreeBSD almost without any modification , which setup the local X window system, dealing with input/output configuration data, and package installing etc . Not the C codes , after all , as the python can be embedded with C codes. That is why we rewrite the GUI partitioning tools'  C codes. We patched in it the code from sysinstall , to partition the hard disk in a BSD slice manner.

   The only thing I thought about anaconda for a native FreeBSD install is that , shall we package an entire FreeBSD into RPM packages?:)While the rpm need a recompile if we are not to use linux.ko.Or we will have to invent a different one?