Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:39:59 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington /Inter-Connect Ltd <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        Ulf.Erikson@sm.luth.se
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: How to configure the kernel?

Quoting Ulf . <ulfeke@hotmail.com>:
 [000910 13:30]:
Ulf .>Hi
Ulf .>
Ulf .>I have successfully managed to install FreeBSD (4.1-RELEASE) for the first
Ulf .>time. The Handbook suggests me to recompile the kernel if I wish to add or
Ulf .>subtract support for different devices. I would like to do both, but how?
Ulf .>Sure, I know how to copy GENERIC and modify it, but _how_ can I find out
Ulf .>what lines are needed and what to add to have support for my hardware?

You know all the hardware in your box, like the pointing device, whether
serial or ps/2, sound card, network card, USB, any scsi devices, serial
and paralle ports (obvious), cd-rom (scsi or ide). You need to know the
functionality that you require in your kernel, so the file
/sys/i386/conf/LINT is a good starting point. Compiling a custom kernel is
a rite of passage so better start there..and see what you need and what
you don't. The output of dmesg will give you a hint too.

Ulf .>To strip the kernel I tried to read the boot-log and only keep devices that
Ulf .>had been mentioned there. That didn't work:) Any good hints?

As explained above.

Ulf .>
Ulf .>The networks card I wish to add (3c574tx) is listed as "supported" yet not
Ulf .>available in the generic kernel. What should be the way (not only in this
Ulf .>case but more general) to find out what /dev/xx it is using, and how to set
Ulf .>it up?

You wish to add? You do not have one installed already? Install it! I
imagine you installed FBSD using the CD-ROM..well, I've never used it
without an ethernet card, so I may be lying to you but I firmly believe it
will be accepted by the system. You can activate it via
/stand/sysinstall..

Ulf .>
Ulf .>My struggles to add support for this networks card included a few
Ulf .>recompilings of the kernel. I found /etc/defaults/pccards which says it is
Ulf .>an 'ep' device. But that one is already in the generic kernel, and 'MAKEDEV'
Ulf .>only gives me an error. The solution though ended up as a simple
Ulf .>'pccard_enable="YES"'-line in /etc/rc.conf. Should I have known?

Well.....you did it..

Ulf .>
Ulf .>Now it works nicely with kernel.GENERIC but one thing.. It takes time for
Ulf .>the card to be identified. Often the log-in prompt is up before the card is
Ulf .>recogniced. This gives me that I have to issue the "ifconfig" and "route"
Ulf .>commands manually to set things up. What can I do to make sure all happens
Ulf .>in the right order (or at the right speed)?

In the /etc/rc.conf;
network_interfaces="ep0 lo0"
ifconfig_ep0="inet 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.x.y.z" I don't know your values..
defaultrouter="w.x.y.z"

That should do it..

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator

All conservatives are such from personal defects. They have been effeminated
by position or nature, born halt and blind, through luxury of their parents,
and can only, like invalids, act on the defensive. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
(contributed by Chris Johnston)