Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 19:54:26 -0400
From:      Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.3 crashing with USB hub attached...

I just installed FreeBSD 4.3 on a machine that runs Linux, and had
been running FreeBSD 3.5-4.1, various releases.  No problems, at
least nothing major.

However, when booting up after the install, the machine crashed before
it set all devices.

I noticed that the system had trouble with some of the USB devices, but
didn't really think much of it. It just was taking it a long time to
query the USB chain. That chain consists of two devices in their own
port, and a joystick and Visor docking station plugged into a hub. The
hub is a cheap Belkin unit like you find in CompUSA or Best Buy.

For the second boot I unplugged the USB hub. This time everything was
fine... I'm sending this mail from the FreeBSD machine's console.

I can understand USB problems, and I have heard bad things about a lot
of USB hubs.  However, I don't generally expect a BSD kernel to die
because of something like that, so I wonder if I've not found a bug.

It seems to boot up fine without the hub so far, so this seems
repeatable. If it fails to boot any time without the hub, I'll make sure
to note that, but I really think there is something wrong in the USB
code.

When I can get back on the net I'll search some more, but right now I
can't find any other similar reports.

Anyway, here's the kernel crash dump that came up:

Fatal trap12: page fault in kernel mode
fault virtual address		= 0x34
fault code			= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer		= 0x8:0xc01b35f6
stack pointer			= 0x10:0xc046ead4
frame pointer			= 0x10:0xc046ead4
code segment			= base 0x0, limit 0xffffff, type 0x1b
				= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags		= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process			= 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask			= net tty bio cam
trap number			= 12
panic: page fault