Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 02:18:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Greg Skafte <skafte@worldgate.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@worldgate.com
Subject:   IP Firewall gotchas

After much experimenting I have noticed, that the current version
of ip_fw.c etc. in freebsd _stable_ does not have any provisions for
igmp or ip multicast.   So I have had to open the  firewall a little
wider that I would like to accomadate this scenario.

I was expermenting with gated 3.5beta3 to talk to our ospf routers
and noticed depending on the rules I selected, there were no ospf
transfers.  After a few tcpdumps and careful placement of packet accounting
I found that the total in and out packets did not exactly match the
various rule sets.  guess why ospf uses multicast and igmp packets.

Has any one hacked ip_fw.[c,h] and ipfw to allow for more _modern_ ip
support or is this stuff hiding in _current_.

would people be interested in hacking ip_fw.[c,h] to assist in these
higher order ip functions ....

I dont normally read the mail lists so  write directly to me and
I will mail a summary to the appropriate lists.

--
Internet: skafte@worldgate.com			Voice: +403 428 0150
When things can't get any worse, they simplify themselves by getting a