Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:49:56 +0200
From:      Bosko Radivojevic <bosko.radivojevic@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Ross <gmx@ross.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.0 & LSI MegaRAID SATA problem

Hi Michael,

thank you for your response.

> So it's not an LSI MegaRAID, but an Intel Controller?

It is LSI MegaRAID chip but connected to Intel's I/O Controller Hub
(southbridge). On FreeBSD 8.3 gmirror is not configured:

# gmirror list
gmirror: Command 'list' not available.
# gmirror status
gmirror: Command 'status' not available.

It is somehow enabled through some driver in kernel:

# grep ar0 /var/run/dmesg.boot
ar0: writing of DDF metadata is NOT supported yet
ar0: 952720MB <DDF RAID1> status: READY
ar0: disk0 READY (master) using ad4 at ata2-master
ar0: disk1 READY (mirror) using ad6 at ata3-master

It is probably "soft-RAID", but I prefer to use it though appropriate
driver instead of classical software RAID configured through OS.

As I said, I'm not that familiar with FreeBSD - how I can check which
driver "created" /dev/ar0?

Thanks,
Bosko