Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 23:42:09 +0100
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, mmead@goof.com
Subject:   Re: MSDOSFS

> MSDOS
> I get a panic, stating that there was a page fault while in
kernel mode.  Any ideas?

Yup ... Don't be so pushy ;-)	IMO the MSDOS FS is flaky,
if you do what i find myself doing too often:
	sitting in several different xterms on a mounted dos partition,
	in diferent dirs, cp'ing & mv'ing things about simultaneously,
	.... something always seems to break ....
	I too had a crash recently 'cos of DOS,
		BTW I run with options         MSDOSFS,
		& it still crashed on me (cant remember the err msg).
	only safe way out was :
	Boot DOS, run chkdsck c: /f
	Reboot Freebsd, redo my work in dos one thing at a time, not pushing
	the DOS FS too hard :-)
I havent bothered to read the DOS FS code, but i suspect there's inadequate
provision for simultaneous multiple write access to the FS (after all,
DOS never had more than one process anyway, & when TSR's arrived, hell broke
loose ;-).

So, to reiterate, reboot, run chkdsk, do everything in from just one shell,
don't be pushy with a nasty DOS/FS ;-)

Julian S