Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 23:59:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        tom@uniserve.com, sthaug@nethelp.no, jas@flyingfox.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which PCI Ethernet card is best for FreeBSD-current?

> >However, currently ethernet interfaces that do not have carrier/link
> >active, still show us UP.  I wish that loss of carrier/link would force
> >the interface into a DOWN state automatically.  I realize this would
> >require some driver changes.
>
> Well, go for it :-)

Question: If I DOWN an interface, do that effect its own transmission
of carrier/link?

If do, this would mean that:

1)	You would not be able to use FreeBSD for hubs; someone has to
	be up first, and whoever it is would go immediately back down.

2)	You would not be able to come back up automatically in a noisy
	environment; you would need human intervention.

3)	Similar to #1, you would not be able to use a reversing cable
	to connect two machines directly without a hub.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.