Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:36:51 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Dru <dlavigne6@cogeco.ca>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail and rc.conf

On Saturday 03 August 2002 01:29 pm, Dru wrote:
| I've been unable to find a good explanation (and hope a guru will be kind
| enough to provide one) regarding the best rc.conf option to choose if a
| user just wants to be able to send mail.
|
| If I choose sendmail_enable="NONE", I can send email and sockstat shows
| port 25 open on the localhost. If I choose sendmail_enable="NO", port 25
| no longer shows up but I appear to lose the ability to send mail. Is
| "NONE" as good as it gets and does it leave port 25 all the way open or
| just to the localhost?
|
| Any comments, explanations, pointers to URLs? I don't think I'm the only
| person out there confused about this.

This depends entirely on how you are trying to send mail.

If you use an SMTP/POP-enabled mail program, then you can send mail directly
to your ISP using those protocols regardless of the local MTA.

But if the mail program is set up to expect a local sendmail to send and/or to
find mail in /var/spool/mail, then you'd need to have sendmail doing
something to make that work.

With sendmail set to NONE, I don't see how you could send mail other than by
using SMTP, but if you are using SMTP, then setting sendmail to NO should not
disable that.

So perhaps you can provide some more details on your setup?

I will say that getting basic mail setup working is *way* harder than it ought
to be.  Some basic "pre-canned setups" for common cases where you could just
plug in your ISP name would be a really helpful thing.

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org