Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:38:52 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        "Abdullah Al-Marrie" <almarrie@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rate limit with pf instead of IPFW

--nextPart10064744.S49oolbEj4

On Friday 29 December 2006 12:05, Abdullah Al-Marrie wrote:

> > > Greetings Jon,
> > >
> > > Could you please post your pf.conf with the rules so I can use it
> > > as a guide?
> >
> > If you are looking for a guide - I suggest reading the pf-faq on the
> > OpenBSD site or Peter's great tutorial, available from:
> > http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/  The topic in question, is discussed
> > here: http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/bruteforce.html
> >
> > --
> > /"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier@freebsd.org
> > \ /  Max Laier                          | ICQ #67774661
> >  X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier@EFnet
> > / \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign              | Against HTML Mail and News
>
> Thank you Max, and Jon for your kind prompts to help me to sort this
> problem.
>
> PF is very powerful, again thanks for porting it to FreeBSD. :)
>
> I checked http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/bruteforce.html
>
> I still didn't find something in the faq covers table <bruteforce>
> persist , do I need to create a file like /etc/bruteforce or no need
> for that and will be stored in kernel until they expire or I reboot the
> box?

You can *load* a table from a file pf.conf(5) has the syntax to do so. =20
Afterwards the table exists in kernel memory and all updates only happen=20
there (and are not written back to the file).  There are tools that help=20
with that, however.

> Here is my pf.conf
=2E..
> # Tables: similar to macros, but more flexible for many addresses.
> table <foo> persist
=2E..
> # End
>
> Am I missing something?

You probably want a "block ... from <foo>" rule somewhere in order for the=
=20
thing to take effect.

> as su I type pfctl -t foo -Tl -f /etc/pf.conf but it returns nothing.
>
> I want to see the current IPs being blocked since I used overload <foo>

Read the pfctl(8) manpage.  You are reloading the table from the pf.conf=20
file - which causes it to be empty.  In order to show the contents, you=20
need something like:

pfctl -t foo -Tshow  # a couple of "-v" gives nice statistics as well

=2D-=20