Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:50:04 -0500
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        "James E. Flemer" <jflemer@acm.jhu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libtool 1.3 and 1.4

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 07:58:09PM -0500, James E. Flemer wrote:
>Let the madness ensue. =)
>
>No doubt this has come up before, and most people are
>probably aware of the state of libtool in ports.  Probably
>the best attempt (I've seen) at doing anything about
>libtool, was by Jeremy Norris as seen in ports/33916.
>This PR was last updated Sep 08 2002.
>
>I took a few hours today to review the patches offered by
>Jeremy, and to look at the way concurrent versions of
>autoconf (et al) are handled in ports.  As a result, I
>threw together a revised set of patches that may be enough
>to get things moving towards a happy coexistence of both
>versions of libtool in the ports tree.  Attempts were made
>to keep as many existing ports from breaking, but some
>cases could not be avoided.

I'll take a look at this. The basic ground rules for doing this are that
nothing may change in the way automake and autoconf are handled in
bsd.port.mk, all non-current versions install info files with version in
name, all non-current versions create a libexec/thingNNN/thing-program
link to the real binary, and person supplying the patches fixes every
port that breaks as a result of the patch.

Oh, and should a war ensue, person who started it gets CC'd multiple
times. Hehehe.

I'll take a look at what you've done, but this is just not a high
priority item compared to some others (KDE new version and bugs).

I appreciate the time you've taken. Assistance in doing the patchwork
(pun intended) in dealing with these tools is always appreciated. Having
said that, I'll add that it doesn't guarantee anything happening
quickly, especially since the ports tree is to be frozen another 4
weeks, and then an avalanche of commits will break everything but a
couple of irc bots, who will gain sentience and ..... oh never mind.

Anyway, today is my 41st birthday and I'm *not* looking at it today.
This week, sure.
--
AlanE (Alan Eldridge), who likes fixing weird distributed systems bugs.
Unix/C(++) IT Pro for 20 yrs, desperately seeking employment in NYC.