Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 19:47:30 -0700
From:      "Michael C. Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        luigi@freebsd.org, darrenr@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   DAWG for IPFW2/IPF

Hi Luigi and Darren,

  Regarding IPFW2 and IPF, do you have plans on implementing a DAWG algorithm
  for the pattern matching?  (Directed Acyclic Word Graphs)

  http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/crochemore99fast.html

  It is a new algorithm that does super fast multiple stream/pattern
  matching in a given n-length string within O(n) .
  The traditional fastest Knuth algorithm only does
  two streams, while DAWG's do multiple streams.  We use it in
  Bioinformatics research to match DNA sequences.  However, I know
  for a fact that applying DAWG's to router/firewall situations
  would be very appropriate.

  Forgive my not knowing about our regex(3) implementation,
  what algorithm exactly does our regex(3) do/use?

  I was thinking that we may possibly add kernel/userland libraries
  for a DAWG regex.  And I am willing to do the work.

  What do you think?  Does anyone else have thoughts about this?

  Thanks,
  Michael