Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2007 21:23:51 -0500
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/115360: IPv6 address and if_bridge don't play well together.

On Aug 9, 2007, at 7:40 PMAug 9, 2007, David Gilbert wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR kern/115360; it has been noted
> by GNATS.
>
> From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
> To: Andrew Thompson <thompsa@FreeBSD.org>
> Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,
>     dgilbert@daveg.ca
> Subject: Re: kern/115360: IPv6 address and if_bridge don't play
> well together.
> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:13:58 -0400

>  Andrew> Hi David, Both the ipv4 and ipv6 addresses should really be
>  Andrew> assigned to the bridge0 interface itself. Please report back
>  Andrew> if it works or not.
>
>  I will test this later this evening as I'm trying to get work done
> now
>  (after having solved the immediate problem).  However, if this is the
>  case, I respectfully submit that this should be a doc-bug, then, as
>  there is no clue in the if_bridge manual page that addresses on the
>  added ethernet segments will not work correctly.

FWIW, I've been using if_bridge for a short while (month or two) and
I've got all my IPs assigned to the interfaces themselves, and not
bridge0.  I'm not using em or dc cards, but everything works great.
I'm using the fxp driver on both cards (Dell PowerEdge 1550 dual
10/100 interfaces).

Feel free to ask more about my setup, if I can help at all.

-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks